Top 10 tips for buyers03.02.16
Searching for a property to buy can be a lengthy and stressful process. After all, you are buying your next home, of course you want everything about it to be perfect! There are numerous important questions to ask when viewing a house.
Well, in the hope that we can help you buying your dream home, we’ve listed our top 10 things to check when you’re viewing:
- Check for any damp on the walls. – obvious reasons.
- Check for any condensation on the windows – there could be an insulation problem, as well as danger of a damp problem to follow.
- Check how much space there is available for storage – will you have enough space for your belongings?
- Watch out for staging – don’t be fooled by cleverly placed mirrors, good smells, strategic lighting, cosy fires etc. Apparently, some owners even go as far as to borrow their neighbours’ pets to make the home seem more like “home”!
- Make sure you note which way the house faces, or even find out before you view it. If you’re a sun lover, you’re more than likely looking for a south-facing garden. Don’t settle for south-east, you don’t want to be unhappy with your purchase.
- Cracked window panes – check for these and check that the double glazing is intact. This could tell you a lot about how energy efficient the property is.
- Check that there are enough power points – if there aren’t enough, this will obviously be an extra cost you’ll face on top of the existing costs for any renovations you may want to carry out.
- Check that the plumbing is up to scratch – turn on a tap and see what the water pressure is like.
- Check what the surrounding area is like – speak to the current owners of the property if they’re present at the viewing. Other than that, your estate agent will have plenty of knowledge of the area.
- Finally, make sure to clarify what fixtures and fittings are included in the sale. You don’t want to come to the end of the sale and find that those light fittings you loved in the living room aren’t included because the owners bought them to replace the original ones!
Following the above guidelines should ensure a perfect sale and that you secure your perfect property. We are, of course, experienced in many property sales, and feel that the point above would help even the most particular of purchasers.